From International APP student to startup founder
Montgomery Ngan enrolled in our 2017 Analyst Prep Program as a sophomore at The University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School of Business. He was an international student that wanted a career in finance or the consulting industry.
- After completing the program, he received multiple internship offers. He later founded his own company, scaled it to over $100K in ARR and joined McKinsey & Co. as a full-time business analyst.
- After almost one year of consulting experience he joined Songbird Therapy as one of the first business hires. The company is a series A startup backed by Kleiner Perkins that helps children with autism get connected to therapists.
He was an international student, making it twice more challenging to land an internship or full-time offer because most firms do not provide work visas. Monty also had no technical skills, relevant internship experience and didn’t know where to start .
We provided Monty with our formula, which includes 196-hour of structured training, mentoring, internship, and career development.
- Monty received essential training in excel, accounting, valuation, and financial modeling.
- Assigned homework assignments that his mentor reviewed to ensure he fully understood the course material.
- We also provided Monty with career training and an internship, where he received high levels of responsibilities to simulate on-the-job situations. For example, in an Amazon stock analysis case, he performed three disciplines of company valuation analysis (e.g. DCF, Sales and EBITDA comps).
- The final deliverable project was an investment presentation illustrating his analysis.
As a college sophomore, Monty gained the same on-the-job skills professionals take years to develop, giving him a tremendous competitive advantage.